Here is my second attempt at a recipe from this amazing cookbook! I know that it is not cold here in Georgia, but this chili looked so delicious I just had to try it. Here we go!
First, I cooked the turkey.
After I cooked the turkey I put it in the crockpot. I should have chopped the onion and garlic BEFORE all of this, but I didn't, so I then chopped my onion and garlic.
Cooked the onion and garlic until brown and the onion was translucent and put all of the remaining ingredients in th slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
- cooking spray
- 2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 (15 oz cans) white northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 4.5 oz canned chopped green chile
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- chopped cilantro and chives for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- low fat sour cream for topping (optional)
- Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and lightly spray with oil.
- Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes. Add to crock pot.
- Add oil to the saute pan, then onions, garlic, sauté about 3 - 4 minutes; add cumin and sauté another minute. Add to crock pot.
- Add beans, pumpkin puree, green chilis, broth, chili powder, oregano, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning to taste before serving. Enjoy!
Yield: 9 servings, Serving Size: 1 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 4
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 272.5
- Total Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 499mg
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Protein: 32g